Director of Operations
Integrated Medical Services (IMS) is a physician-led organization united through its providers’ commitment to high-quality, innovative health care. The multi-specialty group has primary care and most specialties well represented throughout the Phoenix metropolitan area and many rural locations.
The Director of Operations will be responsible for the leadership of the Practice Managers and Site Supervisors to direct the workflow and performance of clinic activities for assigned areas of responsibility to achieve expert care, excellent customer service and maximal physician/staff productivity. This person will work closely with the Chief Operating Officer regarding strategic planning, development, continuous quality improvement and financial/budget reporting and monitoring. The Director of Operations will also assist with representing IMS and acting as a liaison with external entities including insurance companies and vendors, especially those related to key operational functions and quality incentive programs.
Essential Job Functions
- Develop and Implement programs with the Practice Managers and Site Supervisors to create standards of performance and measures of performance in each area of the business.
- Determine appropriate staffing levels for each assigned area of responsibility. Assist as needed to interview, select and hire key employees.
- Along with others, develop and implement training programs for management and staff.
- Develop, implement and monitor employee relations and retention programs.
- Develop and assume responsibility for administering performance standards, performance measures and appraisal process.
- Establish expectations and model behaviors demonstrating excellent service for patients and providers.
- Identify opportunities to improve performance and make recommendations to Chief Operating Officer.
- Willing to take risks to test new programs to improve clinical workflows, patient satisfaction, and financial performance.
- Lead on boarding of new providers, new locations and new services including support of change management.
- Work with Providers to support clinical initiatives and workflow management.
- Develop and optimize the physician templates for appropriate patient scheduling. Ensure schedules support clinical needs and patient requests.
- Develop, implement, and manage protocols for inbound and outbound phone calls to maximize patient satisfaction and clinical excellence.
- Work with available reports and administrative leadership to ensure revenue cycle optimization.
- Develop, implement and monitor training programs and performance expectations for front office, back office, charge entry, and patient services.
- Along with Chief Operating Officer, assist with development of business plans and strategic initiatives.
- Assist with the development of external marketing plans to build business.
- Act as a primary trainer/mentor for new Practice Managers.
- Participate in leadership meetings, strategic planning, and policy development. Lead Practice Manager and Site Supervisor meetings as appropriate.
- Lead the design, implementation and oversight of operational workflows to maximize performance on quality metric programs.
- Confidentiality - Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of patient privacy rights. Maintains confidentiality of all medical, financial, or other sensitive materials and information in printed, electronic or verbal form, which may jeopardize the privacy of patients and/or IMS.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
To perform this role successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential responsibility satisfactorily. These requirements are representative, but not all-inclusive, of the knowledge, skill, and ability required of the Director of Operations. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with Physicians, Administrative Peers, and Direct Reports.
- Ability to assign and delegate work, problem solve, answer questions and evaluate results of performance.
- Ability to understand financial reports including budgetary guidelines
- Ability to research and audit physician charges to ensure they are properly processed.
- Ability to work independently and to be accurate, efficient and organized.
- Ability to read and comprehend patient account information, insurance explanation of benefits and other financial records.
- Ability to respond to emergent or stressful situations in a calm and professional manner.
- Ability to maintain good working relationships while addressing complex sensitive issues.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience required. A degree in Healthcare Administration or Business Administration strongly preferred.
- Minimum 5-10 years’ experience managing and running multiple location physician practices.
- Management level experience in a clinical or hospital setting, including medical insurance, coding and reimbursement.
*IMS is a tobacco-free work environment*
IMS is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
It is the policy of IMS to provide equal opportunity in employment. Selection and employment of applicants will be made on the basis of their qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
Job Status: Full Time