Surgery Scheduler Orthopedics
Integrated Medical Services (IMS) is a physician-led organization united through its providers’ commitment to high-quality, innovative health care. This multi-specialty group has primary care and most specialties well represented throughout the Phoenix metropolitan area and many rural locations.
IMS is looking for a talented Surgery Scheduler to join our team at our Westgate and PV offices!
This position is responsible for scheduling surgeries for patients by coordinating physician, assistant surgeons, anesthesiologist, hospital accommodations, and outpatient accommodations if needed.
Essential Job Functions
- Discusses surgery date and location with patient if in the office- enters the schedule into the Allscripts PM and takes notes as needed.
- If the patient is not in the office, calls the patient to discuss the date and location of the surgery after receiving the scheduling sheet from the provider.
- Checks to see what hospital or surgical center the patient needs to go to according to their insurance plan.
- Obtains all pre-op consent forms.
- Orders lab work, EKG and other procedures if needed prior to the surgery.
- Contacts hospital or surgery center via phone or fax to schedule the surgery.
- Calls insurance plan for benefits for the surgery. Calls or faxes information to obtain authorization for the surgery.
- Sends out a confirmation letter to the patient if the surgery is a couple of weeks out, otherwise calls the patient to confirm the surgery information, reminding them of NPO and medication specifications. Ensures that the patient receives the pre/post surgery packet with all information necessary.
- Collects patient co-pays or deductible or percentage prior to surgery, or make arrangements for payments and make notes in the Allscripts system.
- Prepares all paperwork necessary for the hospital and faxes the information to surgery, admitting, etc. per hospital instructions.
- Complete all excuse notes, disability and FMLA forms for the patient.
- Follows up on lab work, EKG, or other procedures to make sure they were received if ordered.
- On a weekly basis, prints out surgery schedule for each Provider. Attaches all surgery sheets, labs, EKGs, etc. and puts on Providers desk.
- Ensures that all surgeries are given to the Office Manager for charge posting.
- Answers phones and checks voicemails daily. Responds to patient messages within 24 hours.
- Serve as patient services advocate.
- Other duties as deemed necessary
- Travel may be required depending on business needs.
- Hours may vary and be outside of normal office hours depending on business needs.
- Strong oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with peers and physicians.
- Computer skills.
- Maintains customer confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Job Status: Full Time